NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA
(OFFICE OF THE VICE CHANCELLOR)
CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE IN MIGRATION AND GLOBAL STUDIES
- To be the bridge between humanity and the future
- To provide sustainable leverage for interdisciplinary research in migration and global studies
Integrity |Inclusion |Diversity | Service |Participatory
The Centre of Excellence in Migration and Global Studies was established in February 2020 with a grant from TETFUND, the Centre of Excellence in Migration and Global Studies is a research hub with emphasis of field based research that impacts policy formulation and execution for solution to both internal and global migrations. We focus on internal capacity building first and foremost, and stress Afrocentric-based methods in Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, and Science. It is the first of its kind in Nigeria and an innovation with distinct concept, context, perspective, and focus.
Global migration and mobility has become part of human history and cannot be divorced from developmental plan, economics, politics, social, and education of the citizens. Both internal and external migrations have to influence who we are, what we do, and our future. The establishment of the Centre marked a milestone in the history of NOUN under the leadership of Professor Abdallah Uba Adamu, the Vice Chancellor.
The Centre is therefore a fulcrum of research about migrations, both internal and external; and its conceptualisation, contextualisation, and decolonisation are primarily for internal paradigm, dimension, and capacity development for field-based research and policy oriented recommendations arising therefrom. It is a critical Afrocentric centred division that transfers theories, concepts, etc. into policy oriented research useable for national policy use, and global adaptation. Our Migration Observtory are field-based using ethnographic, arts methods, and extensive narratives that validates theories.
- To provide leverage for field based and solution driven research
- To serve as agent of national policy for migration studies
- To seek grants for academic activities and outreach for sustainability
- To organise occasional papers, seminars, conferences, and public lectures
- To publish and sustain peer reviewed academic journal and monograph series
- To collaborate with stakeholders in the field and policy makers
The following sections form the core of our operation:
- Director’s Office
- Administrative and Secretariat Office
- The Hub: Research, Publications, and Outreach Office
- Centre Library and Information Technology